Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Clip of the Day: Jon Vickers as Peter Grimes

So, I just learned that Jon Vickers was the Peter Grimes for the first Met production in 1967. AND, he's Canadian...how cool is that? Sid and I have a dream/goal of moving to Canada. I think this is a sign.

Sid is right. I do love Benjamin Britten, and I TOTALLY disagree with him. I think Britten's music is very easy on the ears! I'll play something from A Midsummer Night's Dream later this week, and you'll see what I mean. Obviously, it doesn't sound like Mozart, but it's a really accessible and beautiful musical language that makes sense to after about 10 minutes of listening. Give it a chance! Also, it's kind of spooky and creepy. Case in point? This little ditty from Peter Grimes (with the late Jon Vickers). Enjoy!



Edit: This production was directed by Tyrone Guthrie!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hey Sid and Nancy! LOVE the new blog!!!! Oh I want so much to join you guys at Peter Grimes -- I also dearly love Britten, Lor... However, there are two things not working in my favor:
1)My neglected apartment is about to be declared a national disaster and needs serious attention.
2)I have no moneys. Sad.

Heather said...

Hi "Nancy" :) I have so much to learn about opera... I actually can't believe I've never been to the opera with my mom and uncle being almost professional pianists. Shame on me. I'll be back often to try to learn what I can!