Thursday, March 13, 2008

Opera's kinda like Beer...

This one goes out to those of you who are new to Opera.
Opera is kinda like Beer or Coffee. Do you remember the first time you tried those drinks? That first sip from your childhood. Remember that? The gut-wrenching, mind-blowing disgust; the taste that made you think that your tongue might actually fall out. Remember?
Somehow, overtime, you grew to love that. Those(like Opera) are acquired tastes. During the process, you didn't think, "Wow, I will really love this someday, and look back on how unrefined my taste buds were." It was probably more like, "I better have some of this foul coffee, because last night I drank too much of that foul beer, and I have to go to class/work now, and I'm 20 and can live like this and not need two weeks to recover from my binge..." or something like that. You get my drift.
The great news is that Opera won't make your tongue fall out. BUT, it does take time for most people to get used to the sound, timbre and style. The difficulty is you won't have a bunch of fraternity brothers yelling obscenities at you in an effort to get you to listen to way too much Opera. Or feel the compelling need to listen to Opera every morning within 15 seconds of waking up.
It's not the perfect analogy.
You gotta start with the palatable, and the short.
Try this:

Now close your eyes, think of Bugs Bunny and listen to this:


That wasn't so bad now, was it?

2 comments:

Lauren said...

umm, holy crap that was good.

femputer said...

I don't care much for bugs bunny, but I *love* this post!

It's brilliant the way you introduce Opera through something that already has cultural/personal meaning to lots of us.

So bugs bunny is Opera's 'gateway drug?' :D