Monday, March 17, 2008

Peter Grimes: Nancy's Notes

It's hard to convey how in love with this performance I am. It ranks right up there with the Eugene Onegin broadcast that Sid and I can't stop yapping about.

I basically agree with everything Sid said. Except I sort of like the awkward backstage stuff. It's kind of fun.

I'm especially in love with Patricia Racette's voice. Her diction was fantastic, and her sound so beautiful. Anthony Dean Griffey as Grimes was beyond perfect. His final mad scene was heart-wrenching, horrifying, and even endearing, if you can believe it. You knew, at the end of it, that he wasn't going to pull through, but you really wanted him to.

You know what moved me to tears, though? The curtain call! There was this tremendous sense of togetherness and love-for-this-work radiating from the cast and creative team that was overpowering. It was like they knew they had put together something special, and were so full of love for it. It was great. Greater than great, really.

No comments: